PDA

View Full Version : V6.0 is a dog

Allan Probert
2nd April 2012, 21:39
We have 3 licences of AS professional.

The V6.0 upgrade runs slow, crashes, is clumsy to use with the ribbon, requires extra time to modify components and flow lines, requires rework of existing V5.7 simulations to make them operate correctly - etc . . . . . .

After 3 updates to V6.0 already all I can see that we have achieved is a 'pretty' front end with no real benefits.

Anyone else have a comment to make.

We have been using AS since V5.3 and can't see that the upgrade cost is justified.:mad:

ForumsAdmin
2nd May 2012, 10:57
Hello Allan

It is true that Automation studio P6 is running slower that the version 5.7, for the same PC, that’s why the minimum requirements are different. If for version 5.7 it was required any type of processor with 1 GB RAM and 700Mb on the hard drive for version 6.0 the minimum processor should be a dual core processor at 1.83GHz (Intel Core i7 recommended) at least 2 GB RAM free (without the one use by other programs). This information is also in the web site http://www.automationstudio.com/Pro/en/Support/faq.htm.
For the second part of your post I will try to point some of the new functionalities we add in the new version:
- New interface to follow other software company as Microsoft (see the MS Office interface)
- Conversion of modal windows to none modal in order to increase productivity without the obligation to close and reopen the same window during edition mode: Dialog of the component, document and project properties.
- P6 is multiuser software with client/server architecture. This functionality will allow multiple users to work on the same project simultaneously.
- Projects support many options in management of project rights for users.
- New project explorer, where related to the multiuser functionality you can see which users are using which diagrams.
- New management for options based on standards for corporate usage.
- New method for title blocks editing, not part of the drawing; this will avoid modifications par errors.
- New types of variables BOOL, SINT, INT, DINT, LINT, USINT, UINT, UDINT, ULINT, REAL, LREAL ,… based on IEC 61131-3 for programmable logic controllers
- New variable manager, for a better management of the variables
- New OPC client
- New OPC server
- Reorganisation of libraries of generic components hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical
- Add new components
- New fluids and pipes Builders. These data are centralized in a database shared by all users and used by projects
- Diagnostics edition to quickly check various points as free connectors
- Failure in components
- Troubleshooting Tools to tests and repair components
- New improved catalogues
- New interface for plotter
- New electrical components
- New manager for wires and cables.
- Electrical Troubleshooting Tools
- API et Scripts (Programming interfaces for Automation Studio and Catalog Manager using languages as .NET or Ruby to interface with APIs; this allows the addition of features - interface, interfacing with other applications, access to project data - documents – components)
- Tooltip on components to display the information selected by the user.
- User Localization

For more information please see the attached pdf.
More than that fix by fix we

For other information don’t hesitate to contact the support team at support@famictech.com.

fred flintstone
29th September 2012, 17:19
I have a single seat for Professional and have not been able to use the program since upgrading to P6 last November.
I spent well over 40 hours on line on numerous calls with Tech Support trying to troubleshoot the problems on my laptop and desktop computers, both of which worked fine up to 5.7.
I was very interested to read the reply to Allen's email from the Forum Admin giving the new basic requirements - how come nobody told the techs we now need at least in i7 so we could have avoided hours of heartache and wasted time?
I bought a new computer earlier this year. It happens to be a 64bit i7 3.00Ghz w/16G of memory.
Unfortunately, P6 will still not run. I was sent a couple of "non-certified" versions to try, the second of which I have not been able to un-install to replace with the last "authorized" upgrade.
I have been out of town for the last couple of months but will be getting back to Famic this next week to try and sort this out.
I am hoping that the tech support crew will be able to help me out and get this thing running - I've had AS since ver 4.0 and have a large amount of money invested in this program.
At the moment, I am not a happy camper - especially as Im being told I have an outstanding renewal bill on a program that I've not been able to use for months!!

Bbeally
22nd November 2012, 15:40
We have had 5 floating seats of professional for a number of years and only recently upgraded some of our users to P6. Since then we've had nothing but licensing issues, which never occurred with our previsous version of AS's license Manager software. With the new licensing software version we've experienced licensing issues with both versions of AS (5.7 and P6).
With 5.7 it launches more often than not without a licensing issue, but once the "Can't find a license" messages starts, it for some un-known reason becomes more frequent, until our users just give up.
With P6, everytime a user launches P6 for the 1st time in a day, the "Can't find a license" messages starts and more aftem than not it continues, again until our users just give up.

Our users are growing increasingly fustrated by this.
I am in the throws of downlaoding and trying the NEW 64 BIT version of P6 Professional, in hopes that our issues will go away.
But I am not totally in agreement with Famic technical support, that the issue could be our network and firewall settings,.as I mentioned before"We never encountered this issue until we had upgrade our license manager software in order to run P6".
I'd like to hear from other whom are experincing similar issues

Bbeally
7th December 2012, 16:57
We have had 5 floating seats of professional for a number of years and only recently upgraded some of our users to P6. Since then we've had nothing but licensing issues, which never occurred with our previsous version of AS's license Manager software. With the new licensing software version we've experienced licensing issues with both versions of AS (5.7 and P6).
With 5.7 it launches more often than not without a licensing issue, but once the "Can't find a license" messages starts, it for some un-known reason becomes more frequent, until our users just give up.
With P6, everytime a user launches P6 for the 1st time in a day, the "Can't find a license" messages starts and more aftem than not it continues, again until our users just give up.

Our users are growing increasingly fustrated by this.
I am in the throws of downlaoding and trying the NEW 64 BIT version of P6 Professional, in hopes that our issues will go away.
But I am not totally in agreement with Famic technical support, that the issue could be our network and firewall settings,.as I mentioned before"We never encountered this issue until we had upgrade our license manager software in order to run P6".
I'd like to hear from other whom are experincing similar issues

Dec 7 2012
We recently found that the "Winsock stack" on our server had filled to such an extent, that it likely was causing our licensing issues.
upon rebooting our licensing server it seems our licensing issue have gone away